A leak can not be planned for, coming as an unwelcome surprise which can cause a lot of disruption to your day. Although it may feel like a stressful time, knowing what do with burst pipes will allow you to…More info
Water is a precious resource, but when it starts seeping underground unnoticed, it can lead to disastrous consequences. Undetected underground water leaks can damage your property, increase your water bills, and even jeopardise the safety of your surroundings. In this expert guide, we will unveil the common signs of underground water leaks, how to tell if you have a water leak underground, and the necessary steps to take after detection.
The Common Signs of Underground Water Leak
- Unusual Damp Spots – One of the most apparent signs of an underground water leak is unexplained dampness on your property. Look out for wet patches on your lawn, driveway, or even inside your home.
- Sudden Increase in Water Bills – If your monthly water bills have been steadily climbing without a corresponding increase in usage, it might be indicative of a hidden leak.
- Reduced Water Pressure – A noticeable drop in water pressure in your faucets or showerheads can indicate an underground leak, as the escaping water reduces the overall water flow.
Techniques to Detect an Underground Water Leak
Detecting an underground water leak can be a challenging task, but several techniques can help pinpoint the issue. One effective method is electronic leak detection, which employs specialised equipment to locate leaks by analysing changes in electrical conductivity.
Another method is hydrostatic pressure testing, which involves pressurising your water system and monitoring pressure drops that can indicate a leak’s location.
If you suspect a water leak underground, acoustic leak detection can be employed. This method relies on sensitive microphones to detect the sound of escaping water, helping to narrow down the leak’s location.
The Importance of Professional Leak Detection
While DIY methods can be tempting when you want to know how to tell if you have a water leak underground, enlisting the services of professional leak detection specialists is often the wisest choice. These experts possess the experience and tools necessary to locate underground leaks with precision. By entrusting the task to professionals, you not only save time but also potentially avoid costly mistakes.
If you suspect a leak on your property, consider seeking assistance from Leak detection specialists. Their expertise ensures that even the most elusive leaks are discovered promptly, preventing further damage and excessive water loss.
Steps to Take After Detecting an Underground Leak
Once you’ve confirmed an underground water leak, immediate action is crucial. Follow these steps:
- Shut Off the Water Supply – Locate your main water shut-off valve and turn it off to stop the flow of water to the leak.
- Mark the Leak Area – Use spray paint or flags to mark the area where you suspect the leak is located. This will help the professionals pinpoint the exact spot.
- Contact Professionals – Reach out to experienced leak detection specialists who can assess the situation and provide prompt repair solutions.
For domestic leak detection services, Hamblin Water Mains offers expertise you can rely on. We specialise in locating and repairing underground water leaks swiftly, ensuring the integrity of your property and saving you from unexpected water bills.
Understanding how to find a water leak underground and recognising the signs of a hidden leak is crucial for the safety of your property and your wallet. While DIY methods can be attempted, the expertise of professional leak detection specialists, like those at Hamblin Water Mains, ensures a swift and effective resolution to any underground water leak issues you may encounter. Don’t wait for the damage to escalate – act promptly to protect your property and conserve our precious water resources.